Herring is a classic of the Polish Christmas Eve table. It cannot be left out for this holiday season. In my family, practically every adult makes herring for Christmas Eve according to their own recipe, and at dinner everyone has to try everyone else’s. I associate this dish with good company - not only during, but also before and after Christmas.
The Baltic Twist – the basil herring
What to buy?
- 500 g of herring matias
- 1 pot of basil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of shelled sunflower seeds
- 100 ml of oil
- 50 ml of olive oil
- Salt, pepper
How to prepare?
- Pour cold water over the herring and leave for 2 hours. Change the water and leave again for another 1-2 hours.
- Put the oil, olive oil, lemon juice, the pressed garlic, sunflower seeds, a pinch of salt, pepper and basil in a blender and mix.
- Cut the herring into large pieces, put it in a bowl and pour in the pesto oil.
- Dice the red onion and put it into the herring. Mix everything thoroughly and wrap in food wrapping paper or put in a jar and seal it.
- Leave in the fridge for 48 hours.