I love dumplings of all kinds and I can't imagine Christmas Eve without mushroom pierogi. I don't like sticking them together, but I am a master at rolling dough, cutting circles with a glass and ...eating.
Christmas evergreen - Dumplings with sauerkraut and mushrooms
What to buy?
- 500 g of sauerkraut
- 70 g of dried mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 550 g of flour
- 350 g of hot water
- 30 g of butter
- Salt, pepper, marjoram
How to prepare?
- Soak the mushrooms in cold water for at least an hour.
- Put the sauerkraut in a pot, pour in cold water and boil for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms, put them in a pot, pour in cold water so that it covers the mushrooms and boil for about 45 minutes, until soft.
- Chop the sauerkraut and the mushrooms. Dice the onion and fry in butter until it turns brown. Add the sauerkraut and the mushrooms and simmer for about 15 minutes seasoning with salt, pepper and marjoram.
- Pour the flour into a bowl.
- Heat the water with butter in a saucepan and gradually add hot water to the flour and mix.
- Then start kneading the dough for about 2-3 minutes. Put the dough on a large board/table which has been sprinkled with flour and cover for 10 minutes with a very hot bowl. Alternatively, you can heat the bowl in the oven.
- Then start rolling out the dough, often repositioning it so that it does not stick to the countertop and cut out circles using a glass.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the stuffing in the middle of the circle, fold it in half and glue the corners together by firmly squeezing the edges.